Kitchens are the heart of modern homes. They don’t just serve as a place for cooking food but also as an area for the whole family to hang out. Since kitchens are a high-traffic area where spills and splashes ranging from water to oils, wines, dishes, and detergents are common, laminate flooring is a popular choice as it’s cost-effective, practical, and durable.
But when it comes to cleaning laminate floors in the kitchen, it requires special care and maintenance to keep them shining like new. In today’s blog post, we’ll share some useful tips to clean your kitchen’s laminate flooring. Read on to learn more.
Basic Cleaning Tips for Laminate Flooring in the Kitchen
It’s very important to keep your kitchen laminate floor free from dust, grit, and moisture if you want to extend its life. Practice regular cleaning to maintain its shine and lustre. Here are some general tips you should follow on a regular basis.
- Sweep the floor with a soft dry dust mop to get rid of dust particles. A traditional broom isn’t suitable for the job because it can scratch and pit the surface of your laminate floor. A wet mop is also not suitable to remove dust particles as it can leave residues and streaks behind on the floor surface. However, you can use a vacuum cleaner with a hard floor setting or a brush roll button to clean dust from your laminate flooring in the kitchen.
- Whether you use a dry mop or a vacuum, make sure to sweep in the same direction that the floor is laid. This will help you avoid dust accumulation in the gaps between interlocking pieces while sweeping.
- Use a slightly damp mop to clean dirt and grease. Make sure to use one bucket for clean water and one bucket for dirty water when cleaning. This is to ensure that you don’t repeat a dirty mop head which can lead to unnecessary streaking the floor surface. Remember not to use an overly wet mop to clean laminate flooring because it can cause water to seep inside the baseboards and damage the floor over time.
- For occasional deep cleaning, use a commercial floor cleaner meant for laminate flooring or a steam mop. Make sure to follow your manufacturer’s care instructions before performing a deep clean.
Some Vital Maintenance Tips
- Wipe off spills immediately with a clean, dry microfiber cloth.
- If you have a pet that you feed in the kitchen, place a mat under its bowl to protect the floor from spills.
- Place mats in the areas susceptible to water leakage such as under the sink.
- Don’t use Murphy’s oil on laminate flooring as it can leave major streaks.
- Avoid pine scented cleaners as they typically leave a soapy residue on the floor surface.
- Trim pet nails to protect the floor from scratches and dents.
How to Remove Stains from Laminate Flooring in the Kitchen
Although laminate flooring doesn’t stain easily, food, oil, and wine spills can leave behind stains if you don’t wipe them off immediately. If wiping with a damp cloth doesn’t help, you can use some natural recipes to remove stains. Mix equal parts of vinegar, water, and a few drops of liquid soap or a pinch of baking soda to prepare a cleaning solution. Leave a small portion of the solution on the stain. It’ll help to break down the stain which you can then lightly scrape off with a utility knife or rub with a fabric cloth in a circular motion. Next, wipe off the stain residue with a damp cloth to get back a clean floor surface. You can also use a general-purpose commercial stain remover on your laminate floor.
Now that you know how to take care of your laminate flooring in the kitchen, practice these steps to keep your kitchen laminate flooring shining like new. However, make sure that you install high-quality laminate flooring in your kitchen to get extended longevity and better durability. Buy top-grade laminate flooring in Toronto at the cheapest price from AA Floors. Call us at (416) 201-9611 for a free assessment.
AA Floors & More Ltd.
524 EVANS AVENUE,ETOBICOKE TORONTO, ONTARIO CANADA M8W 2V4
TELEPHONE : (416) 201-9611
FAX : (416) 201-9117
Mon – Fri: 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
Sat: 9:30 am – 3:30 pm
Sunday – closed
Civic Long weekend
July 31st closed | August 1 closed | August 2 closed